Friday, July 29

Malta, I brand thee!

For the last 3 years I have been working mostly with foreigners. Suffice to say that for the longest time I was the only Maltese person working on my floor at the office. The general consensus amongst foreigners living in Malta, given that they RARELY venture outside the Sliema area, is that Malta is a block of concrete in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea with a couple of nice beaches in the North. Period. Some Maltese people - the younger crowd mostly - seem to agree with them.

I'm sure quite a few people out there (like me) are tired of countless debates on the subject. So here's my 2c on the matter: I made a video to shut these people up. I stuck a photo camera to my car's windshield, set it to take a photo every second, left from Wied iz-Zurrieq at dawn and got to Armier a couple of hours later passing from as little civilisation as possible. i.e. Wied iz-Zurrieq - Ghar Lapsi - Fawwara - Dingli Cliffs - Mtahleb - Migra Ferha - Bahrija - Fomm ir-Rih Bay - Gnejna Bay - Mgarr - Manikata - Mellieha Bay - Armier Bay.



Watch on YouTube in HD quality

During the trip I saw quite a few rent-a-cars driven by tourists. Those people saw more of Malta in a couple of days than a lot of people who have lived in Malta for decades ever will. Food for thought.


VIDEO INFO:

7,772 photos taken at 1fps played at 24fps

Trip duration: 2hours 10minutes (6.00am to 8.10am) of non-stop driving
Distance covered: 40miles / 64kilometers
Average speed: 18mph / 30kmh

More of my work here.

4 comments:

MarkBiwwa said...

Excellent video Keith! I'll be sure to share it with any of the naysayers; I know exactly which ones you mean!

Anonymous said...

how many time i do not do what i want to do but do what i dont want to do

Anonymous said...

I just added this blog to my rss reader, great stuff. Cannot get enough!

KEITH CHIRCOP said...

Thanks, Mark!